Thursday, September 20, 2007

ON CHOOSING TO BE HOPEFUL

Some days I am hopeful,
Others not so much.
It’s the same world on any specific day
Regardless of how hopeful I am,
Only the possibilities for days ahead are different.

Being hopeful is not wishing.
Wishing is for Disneyland
And birthday candles
And the days when I buy a lottery ticket
Just because I have money.

Being hopeful is not goal setting.
Goal setting is for sales teams
And athletes
And fund-raisers at the United Way.

Hopeful is a way of feeling
When I see the world,
With certain possibilities,
Of how good things could happen
But not quite enough of the picture
To lay out a detailed plan.

On days when I am not hopeful
There are still possibilities,
Only I don’t see them
So I think they are not there.

And that is why,
On any given day
No matter what is happening
It is better to be hopeful
If I have a choice
Which sometimes I do.

And sometimes I don’t
Which means I have to wait
Until I do.

1 comment:

Jane Doull said...

Thank you Wendy for this blog- I heard you on CBC last week and have reed through all your postings still then. I very much appreciate your insight, profundity and humour. I have forwarded the link to many friends and colleagues who would find some wisdom and inspiration from reading this.
And how true- seeing possibilities some days, other days having to wait till one can, And of course in the days of seeing possibilities, wondering how one could have missed them in the days when one didn't.