Thursday, February 28, 2008

SINGING

How sweet it was to arrive early for a presentation and be greeted by the joyous sound of 80 women singing! They were singing church songs, even though it was Wednesday morning, and they were attending a meeting. They were singing sweet and loud, singing as if there was nothing else in the whole wide world they would rather be doing.

The opportunity to sing is one of the gifts that organized religion has given. I know a young man who will not willingly enter a church. Yet his whistled tunes on the veranda, his boisterous outpourings in the shower, are the songs we taught him in Sunday school. I do not challenge him on this. Why would I do anything that might silence him? As I hum along with him, and look to the future, I wonder where his children will learn to sing.

No comments: