Monday, March 21, 2011

THE LEGACY OF A PERFECT READING VACATION

To live by, to laugh with, to come home ready to work. Can you ask more of that from a vacation?

Advice For Italian Boys
By Anne Giardini (HarperCollins Canada 2009)

Beyond Belfast, A 560 Mile Journey Across Northern Ireland On Sore Feet
By Will Ferguson (Penguin Canada 2010)

Eden's outcasts: the story of Louisa May Alcott and her father
By John Matteson (Norton 2007)

Anne Giardini gave me a glimpse of the love of a grandmother in a tale of family life as warm as the Palm Springs sun.
Will Ferguson hauled me over barbed wire fences and into Irish pubs whilst giving me a few dozen hearty laughs on shady balconies and sunny poolside deck chairs.
John Matteson introduced me to the extraordinary life of the author of Little Women, and gave me the quote I needed to set a direction for myself as I prepare to make a hope presentation at palliative care rounds later this week. Describing Alcott’s state of mind as she contemplated her father’s impending death and her own likely death soon to follow, Matteson writes: “Louisa both hoped and did not hope. (page 423)”

No comments: