Monday, June 11, 2018

LAMBERT THE OCCASIONAL CAT (Nursing Home Life part 2)

David: Lambert came in when you opened the door. Me: Lambert! You shouldn’t be here! How did you get in? Lambert the Cat: It’s like David said. I walked in when you opened the door. Me: (following Lambert through the kitchenette) But I didn’t mean to let you in. I was only putting the breakfast tray out on the cart to be returned to the kitchen. Why didn’t you meow outside the door like you usually do? Lambert: Because that wasn’t working. When you heard me, you wouldn’t open the door. Now I’d like to stop for a chat, but I need to inspect your suite. Me: (following Lambert around the living room) You’re not supposed to be in here, you know. You are Helen’s cat. Lambert: Helen’s cat, you say? I beg to differ. I am a cat of the world. Me: (Following Lambert into my bedroom) Pardon me, but as far as I know, your food bowl is in Helen’s suite. Your water bowl is in Helen’s suite. Your litter box is in Helen’s suite. That, in my reckoning, makes you Helen’s cat. Lambert: Nice bedroom you have here. Looks like it’s also the computer room. Oh and here’s a keyboard. Do you play the piano? Me: (following Lambert into David’s bedroom) Yes, sometimes. But you really shouldn’t be here, you know. Lambert: (sniffing the laundry basket) I beg to differ. The brochure clearly states that small pets are permitted. This is a nice desk. Did you get that hospital bed here, or did you bring it when you came? Me: We brought all the furniture. And I think small pets are supposed to stay in the suites occupied by their owners. Lambert: (observing the bathroom) A narrow interpretation of the policy, I’d say. Now let’s go out to the living room for our post-inspection chat, shall we? Me: What if a nurse or a care attendant comes in and finds you here? Lambert: (rubbing against my legs) They shoo me out of places where I’m not wanted. But they’ll be fine with it after you tell them you are happy to have me here. This appears to be a comfortable and inviting suite. Would you like to pet me? Me: (bending down to pet) I just don’t know if this is a good idea. If I pet you, you’ll want to come back again. Lambert: (launching himself into a rocking chair) you are a good petter. I feel the quality of experience mingling with affection in your touch. Still, I sense a hesitation on your part. I’m wondering where all this reluctance is coming from. Do you, by any chance, have a history of contact with cats? Me: (sinking my fingers into his fur) Yes I have a history with cats. I grew up on a farm. Our barn was a great home for cats. They helped us keep the mice at bay. Every year they had kittens. I played with those cats all the time. But I was a kid then, and those were our cats. I was allowed to play with them. Lambert (purring) And is there more? Me: Well, yes. Mark had a cat named Kitty. Mark and Kitty lived in our house for years. It took a while for Kitty to get to know me, but he eventually recognized my better qualities. If I do say so myself, I am the kind of person who appeals to a discerning cat. Lambert: standing at the door) Of course you are, and I am a discerning cat. Now, shall I make you an offer? Me: An offer? Lambert: Yes, an offer. I’ll meow outside your door whenever I want you to open the door. I’ll permit you to pet me when I’m in your suite. You’ll let me out when I meow at the door. I’ll be your occasional cat. You’ll be my occasional person. Me: And what about Helen? Lambert: Oh don’t worry about that. Helen fusses a bit when I’m out. She worries that I might be a bother to others. She’d probably keep me in if she could. She can’t quite catch up to me with her wheelchair you know. But I always let her pet me when I come home. Did you know that petting an animal can help to lower your blood pressure?

No comments: