Wednesday, January 29, 2020

HALFWAY THROUGH

“Hope is the ‘Yes!’ to life.” –Ronna Jevne I’m halfway through the 22 hours of training you have to take if you want to be registered as a volunteer at Pilgrim’s Hospice. They provide services to people who are dying. So far we’ve covered the organization chart, policies and procedures, confidentiality, communication skills, family dynamics, and psychological issues. “Aren’t you bored?” my friends are asking. “We know how you hate policies and procedures. With your training and experience you could teach communication or family dynamics or psychological issues. Don’t you have better things to do with your time?” “Actually,” I reply with a half grin, “I love it.” They are surprised. I am twice as surprised. “What are you learning?” they want to know. I’d tell them, but the truth is, it’s too early to say. How do you really know what it is that you are learning until you have learned it? I’ve been wandering for a year now in the wasteland of widowhood and retirement. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out which way to go. In retirement I would have spent more time with my husband. In widowhood I would have returned to work. But what are you meant to do when you’ve been married for a long time and now you’re not? What are you to do when you’ve been working for a long time and now you’re not? Pondering the problem, I thought of setting a goal. But I’ve never been much of a goal-setter. As a compromise, I settled for a guiding principle I would try to follow: Just say “Yes!” My friend Jennifer invited me to join her at a singing event. I said “Yes!” We chose seats for no particular reason and later discovered that the singers in the row ahead were from Canmore. They told us that they sang together in a Threshold Choir. “What on earth is a Threshold Choir?” we asked. “We sing at the bedsides of people who are dying,” they replied. “It’s an international organization with a lot of local choirs. We love it. If you are interested, you should look on the Internet for the contact information for the Edmonton choir.” Each Threshold choir has a name. In Edmonton we have the Voices of Compassion Threshold Choir. The representative I contacted was both friendly and guarded. She told me the choir meets weekly to practice as a large group. They send people to the bedside in groups of three. There were questions she wanted me to answer. “Would you be comfortable at the bedside of a dying person?” “Yes,” I said. “I’ve been there a few times.” “Can you sing your own part in a trio without any music in front of you?” “Yes,” I said. “I have done that.” “Are you willing to take the volunteer training program at Pilgrim’s Hospice?” Hmmm! I might have said “Yes!” to that. I don’t exactly remember. If I did, I wasn’t being entirely honest. My real plan was to join the choir, then convince them that I didn’t need the training. The process of joining took longer than I expected. It is a small choir, formed only two years ago. They have learned a few things along the way. They have learned to be cautious about taking in new members. I had made the call in May, but it was already late in October when they invited me to a practice, and I was busier by then. I probably would have said “No,” had I not been so much in the habit of saying “Yes!” Now it’s January. After one whole year of wandering in the wasteland of retirement and widowhood I look back in wonder at how time could drag so much and pass so quickly. I had imagined learning to feel at home here. I don’t feel at home. I want to, because it looks like I’ll be here for a while, maybe even forever, learning how to survive, learning how to thrive. To survive means putting up with things you don’t love, like being alone much of the time, and not having a structure that pulls you out of bed on the days when you don’t feel like getting up. To thrive involves learning to recognize love when you feel it—learning the difference between doing things you don’t love and making sacrifices when you love something. It’s a distinction that’s hard for a grieving person to make. You spend a lot of time in an emotional fog. You become accustomed to feeling miserable while doing things you used to love I do love singing in a Threshold Choir. I love the music, challenging yet simple enough to allow all members to sing at a bedside in three-part harmony without the aid of a book. I love the way I feel after practice—warm and relaxed, the way you might feel after a long warm bath. I loved our Christmas party, when we drank a little wine and gave ourselves fully to the delight of singing rock songs at the top of our lungs until we were hoarse. I love the closeness of it—the way everyone cheers when I arrive at practice later than usual. These people, strangers to me such a short time ago, are cheering because I am there. I love it so much that I never did ask if I could skip the 22 hours of volunteer training at Pilgrim’s Hospice. I was pretty sure they’d say no because it wouldn’t much matter how smart or experienced I am. I would still have to go through the process. In 2020 you can’t just march into an institution and ask if they have any dying patients you can sing to. Somebody has to recognize an appropriate situation and invite you in. There are no hoops to jump if you are invited by a family member. But institutions won’t invite you or recommend you to families unless you have been cleared for entry by a criminal check and met their requirements for volunteer training. So I registered for the training, fully intending to sacrifice 22 hours to the boredom of sitting through presentations of familiar content. The joke’s on me. The content is just what I expected it to be and I am not bored. Here in the unfamiliar wasteland of retirement and widowhood, with more time than I need and emotions I’ve never before experienced, I never know what to expect.

No comments: