Thursday, February 13, 2020

DELIGHTS

“The more you study delight, the more delight there is to study.” –Ross Gay I am always on the look-out for new books, so my ears perked up when a radio program mentioned The Book of delights by ross Gay. In fact, the whole program was about delights, from the book and other places too. I’d been reading a lot about grief lately—appreciating it and yet wanting to move on. It struck me that this might just be the book I needed. “You should search for that book,” I said to myself, knowing I probably wouldn’t find it. It was the middle of the night when I heard that program. The chances of my remembering to look for it by morning were very slim. I turned off the radio, turned my pillow to the cool side and let it go. But I did remember to search for it! Right after breakfast there was one unscheduled half hour to spare before I needed to leave the house for our weekly bridge game. Ignoring the inner call to check my bank statement and reconcile my finances, I went straight to the website of the Edmonton Public Library. To my surprise I found an on-line audio version of the Book of Delights. Usually, when a book is recommended on the radio, fifty people go to the Internet and put it on hold before I get there. But this particular link said: Available. So I clicked Download. What’s more, I was able to figure out how to download it on my iPhone on the fourth or fifth try. I’d already heard the preface and half the first chapter before it was time to leave. Face it! I was a bit delighted. Now the game of bridge is known for the grief it causes when the social benefits become less important than the joy of winning. Fortunately for me, our bridge club is not afflicted by this misalignment of priorities. There’s plenty of time for visiting, and an occasional additional advantage. You win more games if you can interest your opponents so thoroughly in your topic that they are distracted from the task of bidding to win. “I’m reading The Book of delights by Ross Gay,” I announced in the spirit of helpfulness for the readers at our table. There was wonder in my voice. My opponent Mary-Lou looked up from her cards. “Oh,” she said, “I hope it’s not stupid like that book about awesome.” “What do you mean by stupid?” I answered in surprise. Believe me, I was genuinely interested. I have heard interviews with the author, Neil Pasricha, and visited the 1000 Awesome Things website, but I didn’t read the book. “Just stupid,” she repeated, “Unimportant if you like. For example, turning your pillow over to the cold side. When I read I am looking for something more substancial than that.” Silence fell. I was prepared to engage her in a debate about the inherent value of positive emotions such as awe and delight. But her partner was waiting for her to bid. “Oh,” she cried, “is it my turn to bid? One club!” “One club?” cried her partner in dismay. They didn’t win that game. But then, as my partner and I observed, winning isn’t so important in a social group. It was an awesome morning. Delightful, really!

No comments: