Saturday, April 21, 2007

LATER

I remember when I thought it would be hard for him to get a job
And when the thought would cross my mind a knot of worry followed.
So I said, “Later. I’ll think about that later.”

I remember when he told me he would maybe get a job
And I said, “That’s great, Honey. Where would you like to work.”
And he said, “Later. We’ll talk about this later.”

And I remember saying, “Do your resume.
Let’s do your resume so you will have it with you when you want to look for jobs.”
And he said, “Later. I’ll think about this later.”

And I remember thinking you don’t get a job by wishing.
You have to pound the pavement, tell the folks that you are willing.
You have to have the courage to confront your limitations.
You have to ask for help, and I knew that help was out there.
We need only go and seek it, but you had to work with others.
So I kept my hope alive by saying, “Later. I’ll help him with it later.”

And I recall the day when we went shopping for his birthday gift
And Don the bicycle man said, “This is what he’s wanting.
And by the way, do you think he wants to work here?”

And later when he worked therewith out making application
Grinding out a resume, knocking on doors or pounding pavement
I admitted I had surely been mistaken
In my thought of what it takes for a teen-age boy with disabilities to get a job.

1 comment:

David said...

A moving post. Thank you so muh for sharing.