Friday, July 18, 2008

A FEATURE INTERVIEW WITH PIRATE

It’s happened again. Our front yard has been noticed by the people who celebrate Edmonton’s Front Yards In Bloom. The note they delivered says that somebody will soon be over to take photographs.
All I can say is it’s a good thing the camera can’t take in the entire picture in one fine shot, because that shot would have to include the hole Pirate has dug, front and centre in the lawn. That hole has been bothering me lately. I felt it was time for me and Pirate to have a talk about this matter. I document that conversation here. Note; I have taken some liberties with interpretation of Pirate’s comments.
Me: “Pirate, why do dig holes in the lawn?”
Pirate: “To bury my toys so I’ll know where to find them when I need them.”
Me: “Well, that’s very conscientious of you. But there are other options for toy storage. Would you rather we built you a little toy cupboard on the veranda?”
Pirate: “No thank you. I prefer to bury them. They’re my treasures, you know. After all, my name is pirate.”
Me: “pirate, is there any particular reason why you have chosen the lawn as the place to dig holes?”
Pirate: “Yes of course. You always yell at me when I dig in the flowerbed.”
Today’s Edmonton Journal contains a quote from Kim Poznanski, a master gardener and pet lover from St. Clair Shores, Mich. The keys to successfully gardening with a pet around are, she says: "consistence, training and compromise on my part,"
With Pirate’s voice ringing in my ears I read the article over and over again, looking for some advice, looking for some comfort. Finally I found it. Looks to me like we’re doing everything right.

No comments: