Wednesday, June 10, 2009

HOPE WISDOM FROM JOAN

Today is Wednesday. This morning we Hope Foundation staff stood chatting and drinking some truly excellent coffee that Joan brought in. Joan is our Monday receptionist and so much more. When Bev observed that Joan brings so much wonderful stuff to us, I went to my emails to re-read something Joan recently observed about hope. Reprinted with her permission, this is what Joan Kovacs wrote about being the Monday receptionist and much, much more at Hope House. : “”I was approaching my 60's and decided that I was of no real value in the working world. I was quite skeptical but started doing reception and gradually could bend, fold and mutilate with the best of them. Then two things happened. I started
venturing opinions on matters that were taken seriously and I realized that at the end of the day, I actually felt good. Good is difficult to explain but I knew that I hadn't felt it for a long time. I have learned that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to feel hopeless around other people who are hopeful. I have learned that hopefulness does not just appear and stay, it has to be nurtured and worked on and encouraged. I have relearned that in order to heal it is important (to me) to feel that I can give back in some way; and I have learned that small acts of kindness go a long way to making someone else feel hopeful.”
Those of us who have the pleasure of working with Joan have also learned that acts of kindness go a long way to making someone else feel hopeful.

No comments: