Monday, February 19, 2007

THREE REASONS TO CELEBRATE

Reason #1

This is Family Day, invented 17 years ago by Don Getty, an unpopular Alberta Premier who wanted to please us.  And what could have pleased us more than a day off in the long darkness of February, placed smack in the middle between Christmas and Easter?  People said it would ruin the economy.  But the economy appears to be doing just fine.  The air is frosty.  The sun is shining.  

 

Reason #2

Big progress for me!  Standing flat on my feet, heels pressed against the floor, I can retrieve a water glass from the third shelf with my gimpy right arm.  Some have read my accounts of gradual recovery and thought that I was writing about baby steps.  But I thought I was writing about giant steps.  How often in life to we have the privilege of noticing measurable changes almost every day? 

 

Reason #3

Something is changing in Saskatchewan.  Seventeen years after Family day was declared in Alberta, Saskatchewan’s Premier became unpopular and decided to give Saskatchewan a Family Day holiday.  Eight other provinces and three territories are still suffering the long haul between Christmas and Easter, wondering if it is true that all things come to those who are willing to wait.  People are saying this day of leisure could harm Saskatchewan’s economy.  Only time will tell. 

No comments: