Thursday, November 29, 2007

ON THE SCIENCE OF THAWING AND FREEZING

I read a magazine on the plane trip home from Mexico. There was this fascinating article about a man called Birdseye and his fellow pioneers in the world of frozen foods. It seems that they went to Labrador where they noticed that the fish, instantly frozen by Mother Nature after the catch, could be cooked to perfection. I tossed the magazine into the airplane garbage when they brought the cold drinks. . I was hot on that plane, sweating in long pants I hadn’t warn since I left home, infused with the Mexican air that was so warm you could swim in the ocean at 10:00 on any evening and emerge from the water with a stout breeze blowing on you and never even shiver.
It was about 10:00 when the revolving door at Edmonton International Airport spun us out onto the sidewalk where we were to wait for the park-and-ride shuttle van. The temperature was -19 C. An icy gale was pelting snowbanks through the sky. In the short time we waited for the van I froze up tighter than a fish in Labrador.
Back at the office I am thawing scientifically, in very cool conditions, the way you are supposed to thaw your Christmas turkey by putting it in the fridge several days before you need to cook it. My old radiator is managing the project, remaining cool while radiators in other offices blast out hotter than the mid-day Mexican sun.
I’ve been pretty quiet this week, just doing my job and meeting my obligations, moving glacially like a person in shock, or a slowly thawing fish. But I am wondering, based on the expert observations of Birdseye and others, if, when I finally warm up, I will be just about perfect, and if it will be almost Christmas.

No comments: